Each year the average Australian sends 23kgs of textiles to landfill. As a nation, that’s over 500,000 tonnes a year. As a brand that is centred around manufacturing textiles we are conscious of our contribution to this staggering number.
We feel it’s our responsibility to reduce this impact wherever possible and as a part of our commitment to operating sustainably, we are launching Back IN BED, our take-back program for IN BED linen, sleepwear and homewares no longer in use.
As part of this initiative we are proud to be partnering with the RSPCA New South Wales and Textile Recyclers Australia to repurpose and recycle IN BED textiles. The RSPCA will receive relevant products including towels, rugs & throws to be used in their animal shelters and hospitals. Other products such as bedding, sleepwear and kitchen textiles will be sent to Textile Recyclers Australia to be broken down into yarn and woven into new fabrics. For more information about this process, please refer to the bottom of this page.
We are also in testing phase to create new products from reclaimed textiles that are unused or very lightly worn & easily refreshed. We will be launching our first Back IN BED Project in July 2022.
To encourage customers to join us in embracing the practice of circularity, we will offer a 20% discount on their next IN BED purchase.
Here’s how it works;
- Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you have a product you are no longer using and would like to return as part of our Back IN BED program (please include what items you are returning).
- We will send you a pre-paid return shipping label so you can send the items back to us free of charge.
- Once we receive your items we will sort them into two categories (product for the RSPCA or product for TRA) and send them on their way.
- You will then receive a 20% discount code via email to use on the INBEDStore.com website within 6 months.
As the project is new and very much in a testing phase we may discover new and better ways of doing things, so Back IN BED is subject to change and always open to ideas, however we’re excited about this new chapter and the ability to close the loop on IN BED products.
Back IN BED T’s & C’s:
- Currently the offer is only valid for customers within Australia. If you are outside of Australia we are working on a list of guidelines to help you recycle or reuse product that is no longer needed more locally which we will link to here.
- For now this offer is valid only on IN BED branded product only.
- You are welcome to send IN BED products purchased at any of our wholesale partners.
For full transparency we’ve listed the steps Textile Recyclers Australia take as a part of our partnership with them:
- IN BED items are sent and sorted by category in the TRA Sydney warehouse.
- TRA Sydney ships containers to partner facilities in India.
- Items are shredded, then fibers are spun into recycled yarns and woven into new fabrics.
- Fabrics made with recycled yarns are sold locally in India to Textile manufacturers.
Currently there are no textile recycling facilities located in Australia, however TRA is working on a solution to set up shredding & spinning facilities locally. Along with this, it is also difficult to find companies wanting to buy recycled yarns locally due to the very small pool of textile manufacturers within Australia.